Thursday, January 28, 2010

Booking Through Thursday: January 28, 2010


For more Booking Through Thursdays, or to read other bloggers' responses, click here.

Jackie says, “I love books with complicated plots and unexpected endings. What is your favourite book with a fantastic twist at the end?”

So, today’s question is in two parts.
1. Do YOU like books with complicated plots and unexpected endings?
2. What book with a surprise ending is your favorite? Or your least favorite?
Here's my answer, in two parts:

1. Yes, I do like books with complicated plots and unexpected endings. In fact, I prefer them to books with easy plots and predictable endings!

2. The books that have surprise endings that are my favorites are Kate Morton's two books, The House at Riverton and The Forgotten Garden. Although they're really not "surprise" endings in the sense that I never saw the ending coming at all, she leads the reader through enough twists and turns that, by the time you get to the ending, you're not sure you've figured it out.
What about you? Do you like surprise endings?

8 comments:

Jennifer G. said...

Oh, those sound good. I've added them to my list! Thanks for bringing them to my attention!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I haven't heard of these.

Here is mine

Jenners said...

I'm with you ... why read a predictable book when you can be surprised. I love being taken on a rollercoaster ride and getting all turned around when reading. I have Kate Morton on my wish list. I've heard such good things about her stuff.

Jennifer said...

I have not heard of those two books, so thank you for the suggestions. I like complex books where I need to think. My answers: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/01/booking-through-thursday-complicated.html

bokunosekai said...

I like surprise ending A LOT!! a bad book can be great when it has an unexpected ending.

My choice of book is My Sister's Keeper, the way Picoult wrote the book is a bit not my style (Using I for every character) but the ending turns the book into something great

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I love twisty endings -- but they have to make sense. Heck, I've written a twisty ending or two, myself...

Becky said...

The Forgotten Garden is a really good selection! I was giventhat for Christmas a couple of years ago and loved it, couldn't put it down! But I did see the end coming a mile away. Still, it was really a good book! I also liked the Shifting Fog by Kate Morton. Have you read that one? If not I recommend it.

naida said...

I havent heard of those before. I do like complicated endings too.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...