Thursday, July 29, 2010

Review: Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Hush, HushTitle: Hush, hush

Author: Becca Fitzpatrick

Pages: 391

Source: Library

Rating: 8/10

Challenges: Read 'n' Review Challenge

First Sentence: "Chauncey was with a farmer's daughter on the grassy banks of the Loire River when the storm rolled in, and having let his gelding wander in the meadow, was left to his own two feet to carry him back to the chateau."

Summary (From book flap):

Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those who have fallen -- and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.

My Two Cents:

Sometimes, I'm such a sucker for a paranormal teen romance. I just get drawn in by all the mystery and the tension and the hormones and, well, just everything. That happened to me with Hush, hush.

Oh, and I'm also a sucker for a gorgeous cover. Have you seen this thing? Go ahead, scroll back up and stare for a few moments. I'll wait.

Fitzpatrick has created a great story that unfolds slowly enough to not leave the reader feeling as if she's guessing everything well in advance but quickly enough that the story isn't plodding. Sure, there were things that I knew pretty much from the beginning (Like who the bad guys were in the story), but that didn't ruin my desire to find out what was going to happen and make me not want to finish the story. Her writing also helps propel the story along. It's easy enough to read that you don't have to go back and ponder too much, though it's not so simple that it bores you.

Nora's one of the better characters in the teen paranormal romance genre. She's got some strength and sass to her, so she's not boring like Bella (Ick. I'm not going to go on another Twilight rant again), but she's still naive enough that her wrong choices make sense.

Much has been made in some reviews about Patch and how he's "mean." I can say I'm not of that camp. I really, really liked him from the beginning. Maybe it was a subconscious thing because I knew that he was the hero of the story from the get-go, but I thought he was a great pairing for Nora. Of course, it doesn't hurt that he's supposed to be smoking hot, too. Here I go, again, developing a lit-crush on a supernatural being whose age would get me arrested in real life.

There were a couple of things that bothered me about this book. One of them is particular to Hush, hush alone, and the other is sort of a trend.

First, I could not stand Vee. Every time she walked into a scene, I wanted to claw her annoying eyes out. She's so flighty and stupid, getting into all sorts of ridiculous situations and making lots of excuses (Like how Elliot showing up at Nora's door drunk and getting violent could have been him "blowing off some steam") for stupid behavior. She was the girl in high school whose neck you wanted to ring; the loud one that tried to be funny and sassy in class but just made people roll their eyes. Did. Not. Like.

I'm also not a big fan of this good-girl-good-student-gets-involved-with-supernatural-creature trend in teen paranormal romances. The main characters all seem to be (In the books I've read, which are of fairly limited scope) good students, quiet, uninterested in boys until that mysterious someone comes along, etc. Sure, there probably are a whole lot more of those types of girls out there reading these books, so it's a way to appeal to the audience, but why do all the heroines have to fall into the same mold? Can't some heroine, for once, be the bad girl?

Hush, hush is definitely at the top of the teen paranormal romance ladder, in my opinion. I can't wait to read the sequel, Crescendo (It's sitting on my bookshelf, but I haven't gotten to it yet)! If you like this genre, check this book out.

2 comments:

Ladybug said...

I really liked Patch as well and Hush, Hush of course. Glad you did too, lovely review!

Jenners said...

That is a cool cover.

And it does seem like you always get these "pure good girls" in these books like you said .. it would be nice to see a "skank" get the paranormal hunk once in awhile! At least the romance scenes would be steamier! HAHA.

I suspect I will get sucked into this series at some point.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...