Saturday, July 10, 2010

SM5S: Riddle of Berlin by Cym Lowell

From That's A Novel Idea and Find Your Next Book Here
 

Riddle of Berlin


1 book I read: Riddle of Berlin by Cym Lowell

2 words that describe the book: International thriller (Conveniently listed in the subtitle!)


3 settings where it took place or characters you met:

Setting: Paris, France


John C. Jaegerman is a former military man spending his middle years as an investigator. He fought in Vietnam and was offered the Medal of Honor, but declined it because he felt he didn't deserve it. We first meet him as he jumps off a bridge while jogging in Paris, convinced his life is over. But Jaegerman's story certainly doesn't end there. He is given another chance to right all the wrongs others have ignored, and a chance to have one more heart-pounding, life-threatening adventure.


The Lion goes by many names and is not only a secret arms trader, but also a master of disguise. He has his hands in many, many pots, most of which have very dangerous consequences that reach all over the world.

4 Things you liked and/or disliked about it:

I liked that the main plot in the book reaches a whole bunch of seemingly (at first) unconnected people who are all drawn into the danger. I'm not usually one for thrillers, but I like when a mastermind seems to be able to see the big picture when everyone else can only see small things.


I liked how easy of a read this one was. When I first started the book, I wasn't really in the mode to read a thriller, so it was a little bit of a slow start, but once I hit about page 40, I really wanted to find out what happened!

I didn't like how Jaegerman was called "Del" in narration even after the reader knows who he really is. I get that he's Del to the people he interacts with throughout most of the book, but I didn't think that name needed to be carried into the narration (Ex: "Del said" "Del did this") once we knew he was really Jaegerman.



I liked that, even in a book about an international plot involving murder, theft, etc., there were far more characters that I liked than characters I didn't like. I don't know why this fact struck me, but it did. Maybe it's because I was almost expecting to dislike more people than I did.

5 Stars or less for your rating?

I'm giving the book 3 stars. It was a well-crafted plot that kept me going, especially since thrillers aren't really my thing, but I think the writing could have used just a little more proofing before the book went to print. There were a lot of glaring grammatical and spelling errors that took me right out of the narrative.


The Whys and Wheres: I won a signed hardcover copy from Cym's blog a few months back. Thanks, Cym!

Challenges: Read 'n' Review Challenge

3 comments:

Mystica said...

This certainly sounds very interesting. Thanks for this review.

Jenners said...

How convenient that the two work description was provided for you ... I always struggle with that aspect of my reviews!!

Cym Lowell said...

Thank you so much for your kind review. The compliments are appreciated, and the constructive criticism will be taken to heart in current and future writing.

You are appreciated.

Warms, Cym

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...