Saturday, October 9, 2010

Read-a-Thon Mini-Challenge: Armchair Traveling

Marg over at The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader asks us to write a post sharing some of the sites and places from the books we're reading. These can be books read for the read-a-thon, or they can be books we've read in the past.

Here's my answer:

My favorite books to read are books set in the United Kingdom. England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, I'll take it all. I'm such an Anglophile that I just love imagining the rolling hills and misty mornings right along with the characters' experiences.

My all-time favorite place to read about, though, is Oxford. I think this stems from my living there for a semester in college. It's such a beautiful city with so much amazing history that you could study the buildings and places until you're blue in the face and still not know everything about it!

My favorite Oxford books (And I've got more on my bookshelves to read!) that you should read, also, are:

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh - This book tells the story of two friends who meet at Oxford and, let me tell you, there are some pretty accurate depictions of the residential Oxford colleges (although fictionalized) and the Isis.

The His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman - In this series, we get both a realistic and an alternate version of Oxford that is at once true-to-life and engaging. Pullman does a great job making the real Oxford recognizable in the alternate Oxford, and I can't tell you how much I wanted to run along the city walls right alongside Lyra.

6 comments:

Janel said...

Congrats on winning a prize! I lived in Oxford for a semester during college as well. I'm definitely drawn to books about English history. Happy Reading!

Sherry Ann said...

Good luck with your reading! I love British and Irish authors myself.

Susan Spann said...

I love books set in Wales too! Have you read "Here be Dragons" by Shannon Kay Penman? (http://www.amazon.com/Here-Dragons-Sharon-Kay-Penman/dp/0345382846) I'm halfway through and will be finishing it as soon as the readathon ends (I didn't want to lose focus and its print was a little small for RaT).

Glad to see you're still in there and reading with us!

Mystica said...

Happy continued reading!

kinnareads said...

Congrats on your prize. Isn't it wonderful? Happy reading!

Marg said...

Wales, Cornwall, Scotland are all on my list as well!

Thanks for participating in my mini challenge!

Good luck with the rest of the readathon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...