Saturday, August 14, 2010

Show Me 5 Saturday: Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

From That's A Novel Idea and Find Your Next Book Here
 




Linger (Wolves of Mercy Falls, Book 2)
 
1 book I read: Linger (Wolves of Mercy Falls book 2)

2 words that describe the book: Paranormal romance

3 settings where it took place or characters you met:

Setting: Mercy Falls, Minnesota

Cole St. Clair is a new member of the pack of wolves in Mercy Falls. Unlike many of the others in the pack, he chose this new life in order to escape what he thought of as a horrible past. He spends much of his time wishing he could shift back into wolf form because that way, he won't remember anything about being human. Although he seems a little standoffish at first, he pulls through at a crucial moment to help others.



Grace Brisbane finally has her wish -- The wolf with the intense yellow eyes who has spent many winters staring at her from the woods behind her house is now her sensitive full-time-human boyfriend, Sam. But her parents, always hands-off in their dealings with Grace, suddenly decide to become involved parents and try to separate her and Sam. And there's the little problem of Grace running a mysterious fever and suddenly feeling as if she should be shifting into a wolf.

4 Things you liked and/or disliked about it:

I liked Stiefvater's writing. It's smooth and fluid, making this book an easy read, but it's got a lyricism behind it not often found in young adult literature even today.

I liked Sam, as always. He's the teenage boy every teenage girl wishes she could date -- sensitive, caring, attentive, creative. Oh, and he plays the guitar and writes songs about Grace. Who wouldn't swoon for that?

I didn't like this book as well as Shiver, which is definitely among my top reads for this year. I think we had to spend so much time in this book getting to know Cole and watching Grace's problems with her parents that the action just seemed secondary. There's a lot of stuff packed into the last 60 pages, but I think it could've been spread out a little more.

I didn't like that we could pretty much see the ending coming from a million miles away. The second Grace began complaining of a headache, pretty early in the book, I knew where the book would end up. Makes for a less-than-exciting read.

5 Stars or less for your rating?

I'm giving the book 3 stars. It's definitely not nearly as good as the first book in this series, which left me wanting more of Sam and Grace right now, but it's above par for a lot of the genre.


The Whys and Wheres: The library

Challenges: Read 'n' Review Challenge

2 comments:

Jenners said...

Hey ... I like your new look!!!

And I've heard that this is one YA paranormal series that is a cut above.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Wow! I did not know that Linger was set in Minnesota! Now I want to read it even more!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...