Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ulysses Read-Along: The Schedule

Anyone remember this post from (*ahem*) May?

The one where I proposed a read-along of Ulysses beginning August 1 and promised to have a schedule by the end of July?

Well, uh... I'm a slacker. No other excuse except that.

However, I have finally managed to break down the book into 9 chunks (There are only a couple longer than 100 pages, and not by much) for the read-along, if anyone is still interested.

So, starting August 30, we'll discuss one section of Ulysses each Monday, commiserate about our collective Joycean headaches and try to make it through this monster of a book.

All page numbers are based on my version of the book, which is this one:

Ulysses

You may have to do as I did and flip through your book (With the help of this Wikipedia article) and label each section. Mine always start with a line of all-caps, but not all the episodes are easily distinguishable. I have more than a few crossed-out episode names in my book.

I also have this annotation, which I think will be helpful in getting through this. You could borrow it from your library, buy it or e-mail me with questions that I can try to answer.

Ulysses Annotated: Notes for James Joyce's Ulysses [Revised and Expanded Edition]

Without further ado, here's the schedule:

August 30: Part I: The Telemachiad in full (Episode 1: Telemachus; Episode 2: Nestor; Episode 3: Proteus) and Part II: The Odyssey, Episode 4: Calypso -- Approximately 67 pages

September 6: Part II: The Odyssey, Episode 5: Lotus Eaters; Episode 6: Hades; Episode 7: Aeolus -- Approximately 80 pages

September 13: Part II: The Odyssey, Episode 8: Lestrygonians; Episode 9: Scylla and Charybdis -- Approximately 68 pages

September 20: Part II: The Odyssey, Episode 10: Wandering Rocks; Episode 11: Sirens -- Approximately 73 pages

September 27: Part II: The Odyssey, Episode 12: Cyclops -- Approximately 54 pages

October 4: Part II: The Odyssey, Episode 13: Nausicaa; Episode 14: Oxen of the Sun -- Approximately 82 pages

October 11: Part II: The Odyssey, Episode 15: Circe -- Approximately 180 pages (OK, I lied... This is a loooong one!)

October 18: Part III: The Nostos, Episode 16: Eumaeus; Episode 17: Ithaca -- Approximately 125 pages

October 25: Part III: The Nostos, Episode 18: Penelope -- Approximately 45 pages

Whew! I'd suggest getting started on the first couple parts ASAP to stay ahead of the game!

If you plan to join, just leave a comment on this post. You're not at all obligated to post on your blog about this, but feel free to do so. I think handling the read-along in comments is just fine!

1 comments:

Aths said...

Well, with August 30, I think I will be able to make it! I have the Ulysses on my nook, but I don't have the annotated copy and can't get it from the library at least now. But I'll see what I can do about that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...