Friday, May 21, 2010

Ulysses Read-along, anyone?

You know that monster of a book that everyone's always afraid to pick up? The one that gives you anxiety just thinking about it? The one that you know you should read, but just can't seem to find the time for?

Ulysses (Penguin Modern Classics)For me, that book is Ulysses. I read portions of it in college and loved it, and the full book has been sitting on my shelf for the past four years.

Well, I say, NO MORE!!

I'm going to do something about that book sitting on my shelf, taunting me. I'm going to break it down into smaller, more manageable sections. Anyone who wants to tackle this is more than welcome to join me!

Starting August 1, I will be hosting a read-along of Ulysses. I'll lay out a (manageable!) schedule sometime in July, hopefully around 100 pages per week or so, and we can discuss each section. I'll also have an annotation of the book (It's nearly as long as the book itself!) available, so feel free to ask questions!

Who's in?

9 comments:

Té la mà Maria - Reus said...

very good blog, congratulations
regard from Reus Catalonia
thank you

Shelley said...

I am definitely interested--hopefully my schedule will allow it! I'll watch for the next related post.

baileythebookworm said...

I'm definitely interested! I'll be taking a trip to NC in August, and I think the drive down will afford me a great deal of reading time. Ulysses is one that deserves to be read, but it is daunting -count me in!

Greg Zimmerman said...

Ulysses is definitely on my list of books that scare the bejesus out of me, but that I know I should read someday. Currently, I'm in the midst of Gravity's Rainbow - another that falls into that category. If I finish by August, I'd definitely be interested in taking down Ulysses with you!

Jenners said...

Hell no!!!! I've heard enough about this book to know I couldn't hack it!

booksploring said...

I'm interested...so long as I don't chicken out before then!

~Amy~ said...

I'm in! :)

Aths said...

I was just thinking about this one today, so I came by your post on time. But August is a bad time for me, since I will be defending my thesis, then moving to a new town and starting a new job, all within the span of 30 days. So I can start only in September. I'll check the schedule you come up with, and if I feel positive that I can catch up, I will definitely jump in for sure! *fingers crossed*

Roseann's 1001 Books said...

OK, I'm game, but a little afraid. I just got notice that my copy has arrived at the library. I look forward to getting through this one in friendly company!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...