Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Teaser Tuesdays: Split-Level Edition


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:


Grab your current read

Open to a random page

Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page

BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
 
 
My teasers:
 
"No, it isn't moonlight, he sees; it is the sulfurous illumination that afflicts busy paved places all night. Though the hour is near eleven, a traffic of giant trucks heaves and snorts and groans through the sleepy stone town; the realtor's big window is full of Polaroid snapshots of property for sale, and Route 23, once a narrow road on the bridge between two farm valleys as dark at night as manure, now blazes with the signs that are everywhere." - Rabbit at Rest, John Updike

"But summer comes and he, Cromwell, knows he has gone to the brink and must feel his way back. Henry is too timid, Tyndale too intransigent." - Wolf Hall, Hilary Mantel

9 comments:

Stephanie aka The Stark Raving Bibliophile said...

Excellent snippet! I always had mixed feelings about John Updike's work, but -- WOW -- that man could write. :-)

Lisa said...

good one!

Here's mine

Amy said...

I haven't read Updike in forever. Great teaser!

Jennifer said...

Wonderful writing. Great teaser. My TT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/01/teaser-tuesdays-knit-purl-die.html

Susan B. Evans said...

The only updike I've read is Witches of Eaastwick, and I loved it!

My teaser this week is creepy but funny! Here's a link.

Kaye said...

I like the description of the traffic- really gives a good mental image.

My teaser is here

pussreboots said...

I haven't read either book. My teaser is from Brideshead Revisited.

Aths said...

Nice teasers! How are you finding Wolf Hall?

Lisa said...

Those are both interesting in different ways. Good choices!

My "headline" teaser is here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...