Thursday, June 10, 2010

Review: Critical Care by Theresa Brown

Critical Care: A New Nurse Faces Death, Life, and Everything in BetweenTitle: Critical Care: A New Nurse Faces Death, Life, and Everything in Between

Author: Theresa Brown

Pages: 208

Source: Publisher

Rating: 6/10

Challenges: Read 'n' Review Challenge

First Sentence: "'You left teaching English for this?'"

Summary (From back of book):

Brown walks readers through the rigors of chemotherapy, reveals the odd things that can happen to people's bodies in hospitals, and throws in some humor with her chapter titled "Doctors Don't Do Poop." During her first year on the hospital floor, Brown is seriously injured, but her recovery allows her to take a new perspective on the health care system, giving her a better understanding of the challenges faced by her patients.

My Two Cents:

I'm not usually one to read memoirs, especially those by people in professions I really know nothing about, but I have several friends in nursing, so I decided to get a look at what they do every day.

Brown, a former English professor, decides to return to school and become a nurse, spending her first year on the medical oncology floor. Each chapter includes stories of actual happenings on her ward, showing the ins and outs of not only nursing, but cancer treatment. It's a really quick read, and I think those in the medical profession would enjoy this.

For me, though, it just didn't quite work as well as I thought it would. Brown's writing is OK; it's nothing stellar and it's not bad. But there really isn't much heart behind a lot of these tales. She talks about dealing with her first deaths on the ward, but doesn't really give us much in the way of how she dealt with those losses. She just kind of says, "It took me a long time to recover" and then moves on. I guess I would have liked to see a little more of that instead of all the stories of patients.

I liked this book well enough, but it just didn't impress me as anything particularly special. Perhaps those with more knowledge of nursing or medicine will find more interesting things in this book, though.

1 comments:

Jenners said...

I always enjoy getting a glimpse into other professions but this one sounds like it isn't as strong as it could be.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...