Friday, June 11, 2010

Review: She's So Dead to Us by Kieran Scott

She's So Dead to UsTitle: She's So Dead to Us

Author: Kieran Scott

Pages: 275

Source: Publisher

Rating: 4/10

Challenges: Read 'n' Review Challenge

First Sentence: "'Oh. My. God. You are never going to believe who I just saw driving through town in a Subaru.'"

Summary (From back of book):

Ally Ryan would rather be in Maryland. She would rather be anywhere, in fact, than Orchard Hill, site of her downfall. Well, not hers exactly, but when your father's hedge fund goes south and all your friends lose their trust funds, things don't look so sunny for you. So her mother moved them away to flee the shame. But now they're moving back. Back to the country club, new car every year, family came over on the Mayflower lifestyle that Ally has outgrown. But there are bright sides. Like gorgeous Jake Graydon. Ally and Jake instantly like each other, but it won't be easy for them to be together -- not if his friends (her former friends) have anything to say about it. Is Ally ready to get thrown back into the drama of the life she left behind?

My Two Cents:

This book just did not work for me. It wasn't the writing or anything, it's just that I can't stand to watch kids be so cruel to one another. And, sadly, the mean girl streak is big in the young adult literary world. It's just like reading one big celebrity reality show. I almost felt like the Kardashian sisters and Lindsey Lohan were going to pop up any second.

People in this book were just too mean and too shallow for me to be able to actually like them. Sure, Ally was all right, and I liked her well enough, but it was just too hard watching everyone else mercilessly bring Ally down time and time again simply because they could. I almost put the book down, hoping it would get better and that the mean girls would get their come-uppance. Nope. Didn't happen. Sure, there's buzz that this is going to be a trilogy or that there will at least be a sequel, so there's time for them to pay their dues, but I was just left unsatisfied.

Perhaps I'm projecting some of my more heinous junior high experiences on this book, but the mean girls were too mean and there was very little redeeming quality in anyone in this book for me to really like it. I know Scott is trying to show some of the seedy underbelly of high schools through this clique, but I think that this mean girl, privileged child with no consequences trend in young adult literature (Think Gossip Girl. *shudder*) isn't helping kids get through high school any more easily. It's just giving kids more ideas.

2 comments:

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

I have to admit that I was hooked on this one Michelle. I think I had run of the mill concerns in high school but never encountered anything really heinous. I wasn't that much into her relationship with Jake, but he seemed pretty well-drawn in being alternately spineless and a (sort of) stand up guy. I am pretty sure that this is the beginning of a series, otherwise the ending is way to abrupt, and while I could care less about Jake, I do want to see what happend with Ally's home life.

Jenners said...

I'm 100% sure this is a type of book I've outgrown, and it isn't a time I want to revisit. (Not that my friends has trust funds to ruin).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...