Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Review: Angelology by Danielle Trussoni

Angelology: A NovelTitle: Angelology

Author: Danielle Trussoni

Pages: 809 (Large print edition)

Source: Library

Rating: 10/10

Challenges: Read 'n' Review Challenge

First Sentence: "The angelologists examined the body."

Summary (From back of book):

Sister Evangeline was just a girl when her father entrusted her to the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration in upstate New York. Now, at twenty-three, her discovery of a 1943 letter from the famous philanthropist Abigail Rockefeller to the late mother superior of the Saint Rose Convent plunges Evangeline into a secret history that stretches back a thousand years: an ancient conflict between the Society of Angelologists and the monstrously beautiful descendants of angels and humans, the Nephilim.

My Two Cents:

I love books in which a whole new world is created, but that world makes sense when placed within our own. Trussoni's world of angels and angelologists is so rich and historied, and so rooted in our real history, that I easily could picture angels walking among us as the social elite.

Trussoni creates an incredible history, stretching all the way back to the fall of the angels from heaven and into present times, complete with scholars of angelology, legends, research journals and personal letters. I haven't done a lot of research as to how Trussoni wrote this book, but she either did a whole lot of theological research or she has one incredible imagination -- I'm guessing it's a combination of both. I was stunned by the depth of the world which Trussoni created, a world which made integral parts of artistic holdings of the Rockefeller family. It's really hard to explain without giving a lot away, but just suffice it to say that Trussoni's world will amaze you.

I really liked Evangeline as a character. She was contemplative and steadfast, so she made a lot of sense as a nun, but she also had enough modern characteristics to make her a little rebellious. (Side note: I grew up Catholic, so I know not all nuns are meek and mild. I'm just saying she was a good mix of what we think of as "nuns" and someone who would pursue this mystery.)

I'd love to say more about this book, but I'm afraid that anything else I say will ruin the experience for others who plan to read it. If you're even considering reading this book, go for it. This is a great book!

4 comments:

Life After Jane said...

This sounds very interesting. I saw the cover in the bookstore the other day and picked it up. Might have to again.

Cherry said...

I came from Cym Lowell's Book Review Party Wednesdays.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed this book. Me, I like my stories to make sense. And this book has a lot of "contradictory lines" which puts a big snag on the story. I would not read another Trussoni again.

Cat said...

I have this on hold at the library - hope I enjoy it as much as you have. Sounds great.

Diane said...

WOW...sounds great. I do plan to read this one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...