Friday, April 2, 2010

Review: Fallen by Lauren Kate

FallenTitle: Fallen

Author: Lauren Kate

Pages: 452

Source: The library where I work

Rating: 9/10

Challenges: Read 'n' Review Challenge

First Sentence: "Around midnight, her eyes at last took shape."

Summary (From book flap):

There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at Sword & Cross boarding school in Savannah. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are screwups, and security cameras watch every move.

Except Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce -- he goes out of his way to make that very clear. But she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, Luce has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret ... even if it kills her.

My Two Cents:

This book took me awhile to get into. Over the course of two weeks, I only read about 200 pages. I'd read a little, not really getting captured by the book, and then put it down for something else. But, I persevered because it was everywhere getting so much positive praise. I had to see if I would like it, too, or if this would be another case of The Postmistress syndrome.


Once I hit the 200-page mark, though, I couldn't put this book down.

I really liked Luce as a character. She was one of those girls that I could easily have seen myself being friends with in high school. She's smart, somewhat shy, and very confused about what's going on with her life. She knows something went wrong enough to land her in a reform school, but she doesn't know what and she's pretty sure she didn't cause it. I liked that she was a typical teenager with a somewhat rebellious streak (There's some teen drinking that goes on here), but she's very respectful and loving toward her parents. You don't see that sometimes in young adult fiction, and it's refreshing to see that. She's also a loyal friend, not only to her friend back home, but also to her new friends at Sword & Cross.

Kate's writing is really smooth and flows nicely. She's great at giving you a lot of the clues, but not revealing her hand too early. I knew what the big "secret" was going to be, mostly because I'd read some reviews and synopses, but it was still surprising to see how it all played out.

The concept behind this book is what I liked the best. It was paranormal without being too unbelievable. Sure, I'm not looking for any of the otherworldly creatures presented here to be knocking on my door anytime soon, but I could see it happening in some alternate reality. Make any sense?

Besides the slow start (And 200 pages is a really slow start), I overall enjoyed this book and can't wait to read the sequel.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

A the risk of sounding like a tart, why did it earn 9 out of 10 if 200 pages were slow-starting?

This isn't the first review I've come across for this book. It seems that the cover is beautiful and kudos to the artist, but the sequel better grow wings and fly.

reederreads said...

I read this book and I just saw the new cover to the sequel and it's as amazing as the "Fallen" cover!

Book Monster said...

Nice to hear your opinion. I absolutely loved this book. Great review!!

Jan von Harz said...

I borrowed this book and have yet to read it, but I will. I have heard too many good things about it and the sequel is coming out soon (I think). Great review.

nomadreader said...

I've had this one on my shelf for far too long, but all of the bad and mediocre reviews scared me away. I'm glad to read a good one, and it's good to know it took awhile to get into it. I'll get to it one day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...