Friday, April 23, 2010

Review: Fang (Maximum Ride #6) by James Patterson

Fang: A Maximum Ride NovelTitle: Fang (Maximum Ride #6)

Author: James Patterson

Pages: 309

Source: The library where I work

Rating: 7/10

Challenges: Read 'n' Review Challenge

First Sentence: "I'm a girl of extremes."

Summary (From book flap):

Fang will be the first to die.

Maximum Ride is used to living desperately on the run from evil forces sabotaging her quest to save the world -- but nothing has ever come as close to destroying her as this horrifying prophetic message. Fang is Max's best friend, her soul mate, her partner in the leadership of her flock of winged children. A life without Fang is a life unimaginable.

But there will be another...

When a newly created winged boy, the magnificent Dylan, is introduced into the flock, their world is upended yet again. Raised in a lab like the others, Dylan exists for only one reason: he was designed to be Max's perfect other half.

To replace Fang

Thus unfolds the battle of perfection versus passion that terrifies, twists, and turns ... and meanwhile, THE APOCALYPSE IS COMING.

My Two Cents:

I am not, as you know, a James Patterson fan, but I like his young adult series. I've been waiting for this book since reading the last in the Maximum Ride series last year.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Fang, though. It's got all the snap and snark of the first five books, a quality that I loved, but there just doesn't seem to be that much going on here. There's all kinds of action and intrigue in the first five books, and that's just not really present here. Sure, things happen, but it just isn't enough, I guess.

I also liked that this section of the series shied away from the "global-warming-is-bad-let's-all-save-the-world" bent the last couple books of the series have been taking. That direction was getting a little old, so I'm glad that we didn't get beaten over the head by the Save the World Stick this time.

Overall, I liked the book, mostly because good points of the rest of the series were present, but it's definitely not my favorite.

Unless you've read the previous five books in the series (and they're really quick reads), I wouldn't recommend giving this one a go.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...